Arrow-right Camera

Photos


The lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, pictured here in 1928, was located at 1116 W. Riverside Ave. and in its heyday housed the nation’s largest number of Elks with 8,000 members. The cornerstone of the lodge was laid on Oct. 25, 1919, and was Spokane’s finest example of Italian Renaissance architecture. In 1981, North Coast Life Insurance bought the downtown building from the Elks who were struggling financially and membership numbers declining.

Jesse Tinsley