May 1945: The Sawmill Phoenix was photographed just months before it was torn down. The mill, at right, was located at 348 N. Wall St., near the Spokane River. It opened in 1871 and supplied lumber to build many of the city’s first homes and businesses.
Aug. 19, 2013 in City on Page A5
When S.R. Scranton and J.J. Downing, Spokane’s first white settlers, walked up to the south channel of the river by the falls in 1871, they realized it was the perfect …