Arrow-right Camera


April 30, 1954: The new Ridpath tower, in the middle of the block at right, was built in 1952 after a catastrophic fire destroyed the five-story hotel in 1950. To the east of the hotel stood the Blalock building, which was acquired by the Ridpath owners and reduced to one story in 1972, then redesigned to blend into the modern hotel’s look. The Blalock was home to the Halliday Hotel in the early 20th century.