Picture stories

Jensen-Byrd warehouse building

The Jensen-Byrd warehouse, 131 E. Main Ave., was built in 1909 for Marshall-Wells Hardware Co., which was headquartered in Duluth, Minn. Sometime after Marshall-Wells agreed to buy another Spokane wholesale hardware company, Holley-Mason, in 1930, Marshall-Wells moved into the Holley-Mason building, 157 S. Howard St., and leased its warehouse on Main to the U.S. Forest Service. Marshall-Wells moved back to the warehouse on Main in 1946 and the Forest Service moved to the Holley-Mason Building. Jensen-Byrd bought Marshall-Wells’ Spokane operations in 1958. The building is now owned by Washington State University which is debating its future.

Related story: Developer chosen by WSU to redevelop Jensen-Byrd says warehouse could be ‘magical’ space
Related story: Jensen-Byrd building’s fate teeters between restoration, demolition


CHARLES LIBBY - MAC/EASTERN WASHINGTON STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1930 historical photo of the Jensen-Byrd warehouse building, when Marshall-Wells, a hardware distributor, occupied the 1909 building.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

The 1909 Jensen-Byrd warehouse building as it now stands in 2013. It is now owned by Washington State University.


CHARLES LIBBY - MAC/EASTERN WASHINGTON STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1947 historical photo of the Jensen-Byrd warehouse building, when Marshall-Wells, a hardware distributor, had rented the 1909 building to the U.S. Forest Service.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

The Jensen-Byrd warehouse building (orginally the Marshall-Wells Co, building) has stood since 1909. It is now owned by Washington State University.


CHARLES LIBBY - MAC/EASTERN WASHINGTON STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1954 historical photo inside the Jensen-Byrd warehouse building, when Marshall-Wells, another hardware distributor, occupied the 1909 building. The people pictured are training to install linoleum from Marshall-Wells Co.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

Russell Pritchard, Jr., Washington State University senior project manager, walks through the empty sixth floor of the Jensen-Byrd warehouse building, Aug. 15, 2013, near downtown Spokane, Wash.


CHARLES LIBBY - MAC/EASTERN WASHINGTON STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1950 historical photo of the Jensen-Byrd warehouse building, when Marshall-Wells, a hardware distributor, occupied the 1909 building. The people pictured are employees from Marshall-Wells Co.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

Contrasting light and colors paint the south side of the empty 1909 Jensen-Byrd warehouse building.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

Washington State University senior project manager, Russell Pritchard, Jr., left, and Jon Schad, WSU director of facilities operations, view the second floor of the 1909 Jensen-Byrd warehouse building, Aug. 15, 2013, near downtown Spokane, Wash.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

A burst pipe in the ceiling of the sixth-floor women’s bathroom in the Jensen-Byrd warehouse building caused heavy damage.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

Washington State University senior project manager, Russell Pritchard, Jr., views the fourth floor of the 1909 Jensen-Byrd warehouse building, Aug. 15, 2013, near downtown Spokane, Wash. Parts shelves from the hardware store’s last days are still on the floor. The university is debating the future of the structure.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

Washington State University director of facilities operations Jon Schad, views the 1910 addition in the 1909 Jensen-Byrd warehouse building.


DAN PELLE - THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW

Contrasting light and colors paint the south side of the 1908 Jensen-Byrd warehouse building.

Recent Picture Stories




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile