Arrow-right Camera

Picture stories

Sleepy Hollow Fire in Wenatchee

Fires continued to smolder around Wenatchee Monday morning as firefighters worked to contain a fast-spreading blaze that threatened homes in the hills and an industrial fire sent plumes of smoke over the Columbia River.


About 3,000 acres and as many as two dozen structures burned in the hills west of downtown Sunday evening. About 200 people spent the night in an emergency shelter after being forced to leave their homes.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

The Sleepy Hollow Fire is seen engulfing a hillside west of Wenatchee and threatening structures at approximately 3 a.m. on Monday, June 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


The so-called Sleepy Hollow fire burned in the hills to the west of downtown Wenatchee on Sunday evening. Embers ignited a fire in the downtown area, at a recycling facility. The roof of that building has collapsed, officials said this morning.

Kip Hill, The Spokesman-Review

Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

An industrial fire is seen from 1567 N Wenatchee Avenue at Northwest Wholesale at approximately 4 a.m. on Monday, June 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

Firefighters work to battle a fire on Monday, June 29, 2015, in downtown Wenatchee, Wash.


As crews continue working to control a wildfire that scorched 3,000 acres near Wenatchee and burned two dozen or more structures, authorities just warned of an ammonia leak at a fruit-packing plant there and ordered nearby residents to take shelter.

Kip Hill, The Spokesman-Review

Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

An ammonia leak from the Blue Bird Inc. plant is seen from East Wenatchee on Monday, June 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash. Cinders from a nearby wildfire set the plant on fire and authorites warned residents to stay away from the leak.


Chelan County Emergency Managment told residents to “Go indoors, shut windows and doors, shut off air conditioning, and move to the inner-most room to get away from the windows.” The Blue Bird Inc. plant caught fire early today and is located at 1470 Walla Walla Ave. in Wenatchee.

Kip Hill, The Spokesman-Review

Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

A resident wears a mask while walking in downtown Wenatchee near the Blue Bird Inc. plant on Monday, June 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

An ammonia leak from the Blue Bird packing plant is seen from East Wenatchee on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Evacuations were ordered near the town of Monitor, requiring residents to leave immediately. That warning was also issued to residents living in the hills west of Western Avenue, where a line of scorched earth zigzagged its way across the hills.

Kip Hill, The Spokesman-Review

Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

The scorched earth that the Sleepy Hollow Fire left behind shows the fire’s close proximity to homes near Monitor, Wash., Monday, June, 29, 2015.


The Broadview neighborhood in Wenatchee, Wash. was devastated by the Sleepy Hollow fire. The neighborhood lost 24-28 structures.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

All that remains of a home in the Broadview neighborhood is a charred brickwork.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

Officials pick through the rubble of a Broadview neighborhood home on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

A burnt out car sits in the Broadview neighborhood on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

The remains of a Broadview neighborhood home are seen on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

The remains of a Broadview neighborhood home are seen on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

A melted real-estate sign is seen on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

All that remains of a home in the Broadview neighborhood is a charred brickwork.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

A hot cinder landed on this cedar shake roof and nearly burned the house to the ground, but firefighters put out the flames before the fire got out of control.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

Micki Clugston holds a cinder chunk that landed in her and her husband Chuck’s yard during the Sleepy Hollow fire on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash’s Broadview neighborhood. Unlike many of their neighbors the Clugstons home emerged unscratched dispite being peppered with hot cinders like this one.


Tyler Tjomsland - The Spokesman-Review

Micki Clugston and her husband Chuck pose for a photo in their home which emerged from the Sleepy Hollow fire intact on Monday, Jun 29, 2015, in Wenatchee, Wash’s Broadview neighborhood. Unlike many of their neighbors, the Clugston’s home emerged unscratched despite being peppered with hot cinders. Above them are photos of their three adult sons, from left, Cuck, Rod and CJ. “I thought our house was going to go,” said Micki. “Chuck and I hugged and said the important thing in life is not having things, it’s having each other. That’s what makes us rich.”

Recent Picture Stories