Pullman volleyball moves into tie for second
Not only did they get revenge, but the Pullman Greyhounds moved into a tie for second place in the Great Northern League volleyball standings on Tuesday.
Pullman, which fell in straight sets to East Valley on Sept. 18, beat the Knights 25-22, 22-25, 25-17 and 25-14 behind a strong performance from Brittani Harvey.
Harvey led the Greyhounds with 18 kills, nine aces and 16 digs. Jolene Herzog added 24 assists for Pullman (7-2).
East Valley (7-2) was led by Callie Hanson’s 26 assists, four aces and seven digs.
• Elsewhere in the Great Northern League, Joellee Buckner had 16 kills and six aces as Colville stayed perfect with a sweep of visiting Deer Park (1-7). Match scores were 25-10, 25-10 and 25-11. Leanna Carr added 26 assists for the Indians, who improved to 8-0 in the GNL with four remaining league matches. Sierra English-Largent led the Stags with five kills and four blocks. … Katelyn Sage had 12 digs and three blocks and Aaliyah Ashley-Meek dished out 25 assists as West Valley (2-7) swept Clarkston (1-8) in Clarkston. Match scores were 25-19, 25-23 and 25-17. Jerrilyn Prichard added eight kills for West Valley. Kimmy Henriod led the Bantams with eight kills and eight blocks.
• IEL: Coeur d’Alene (2-4) upset visiting Lake City 25-15, 25-16, 22-25, 25-18 in Coeur d’Alene. Kylie Curtis had 14 kills and 11 digs for the Timberwolves (4-2). … Megan Rockwell had eight kills and three blocks and Kennedy Search dished out 21 assists as Sandpoint topped Lakeland 25-13, 25-18, 25-11 in Rathdrum.
• 5A Region I: Kelcie Hedge had two goals and an assist as Post Falls secured a spot in the state tournament with a 3-0 win over Lake City in the regional title match at Post Falls. Hedge opened the scoring in the 29th minute and scored her second goal in the 57th minute to put the Trojans ahead 2-0. Hedge later assisted on Erica Simpson’s 77th minute goal. The Timberwolves will play Saturday at Middleton High School in a winner-to-state, loser-out match.
• 4A Region I: Joelle Stephens and Reilley Rhoads scored second-half goals to lead Moscow to a 2-0 win over visiting Lakeland. Moscow will play at No. 1 Sandpoint on Thursday. The Hawks’ season has concluded.
• 3A District I-II: At Lakeland High School in Rathdrum, Bonners Ferry beat Kellogg 2-0 and Timberlake beat Coeur d’Alene Charter 4-2. The Badgers and Tigers will play in the district title game on Thursday at Lakeland. Kellogg and Coeur d’Alene Charter were eliminated.
• Great Northern: Maddi Cillay scored two second-half goals and Pullman (12-1, 3-0) hung on to beat host East Valley (6-6, 5-4) 2-1. The win secured the GNL crown for the Greyhounds, who have three remaining league matches. Kendra Morcheck scored in the 79th minute for the Knights, but that’s all East Valley would get. … Deer Park goalkeeper Taylor Varang held Colville (1-10, 0-8) to just one shootout goal and the Stags (4-8, 2-6) beat the Indians 5-4 in Colville. Colville’s Malia Luu scored three second-half goals to erase a 3-1 halftime deficit and send the game into a shootout. … Halie Gronenthal scored twice to lead West Valley (8-3, 6-3) to a 4-0 win over host Clarkston (5-5, 4-5). Jenna Sullens opened the scoring in the 27th minute and the Eagles benefited from an own goal in the 43rd minute.
• On the Web: Check out The Spokesman-Review’s Prep Report page for local high school sports scores, standings and stories, as well as prep reporter Greg Lee’s blog and archived Thursday columns at spokesman.com/preps