A robbery suspect who tried to swallow some incriminating evidence choked to death on a $50 bill.
The man collapsed in the back seat of a patrol car Thursday about an hour after he was caught in a robbery, police said.
Before collapsing, the robber complained of asthma. He was taken to the hospital, where he died.
An autopsy Friday found the cause of death to be asphyxiation.
“He ingested a $50 bill that was taken from the victim,” Lt. William Conwall said. “The bill apparently lodged in his throat, causing him to suffocate.”
The robber, who wasn’t identified, attacked a woman in a supermarket parking lot, authorities said.