Arrow-right Camera


Police Say Shooting Was An Accident

Thu., Aug. 3, 1995

While Clarisa Darcy watched two friends play video games at a north Spokane home Tuesday night, a bullet pierced her head.

John Perry, 19, who lives at the house on North Maple, told police the gun he was holding accidently discharged in his hands. Detectives say they believe him.

Darcy, 18, remained unconscious and in critical condition at Deaconess Medical Center late Wednesday.

Her parents, Michael and Kathy Darcy, have held a vigil at the hospital. They believe the shooting should never have happened.

“At his age, he should have known how to handle guns,” Michael Darcy said Wednesday. “I don’t believe a gun should be loaded in a house.”

Clarisa Darcy spent nearly three hours in surgery immediately after the shooting, which occurred shortly before 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Darcy was shot in the side of her head and the bullet lodged near her left eye.

During surgery, doctors removed the bullet and the left eye, the Darcys said. Doctors also removed the frontal lobe of her brain, which was damaged by the impact of the bullet.

Police said Perry and his brother, Angelo Perry, 15, were playing the video games while their cousin, Timothy Joslin, and Darcy looked on.

Darcy was lying on the living room sofa a few feet from where the Perry brothers were sitting. Joslin, 15, sat at the other end of the sofa near Darcy’s feet.

Joslin told police he got up to make a sandwich and when he returned, he heard the gun fire, said his father, Bill Joslin.

“He was very visibly shaken,” Bill Joslin said Wednesday.

Detectives questioned all three boys Tuesday night and searched the house for evidence. By late Wednesday, no arrests had been made.

“It appears to be an accident,” said Detective Don Giese. “The evidence so far supports that.”

He said the .22-caliber handgun belonged to Perry’s father, John Perry, Sr.

Giese said if police can’t prove recklessness or intent in the shooting, charges likely won’t be filed.

Darcy, whose home address is 1718 East Rowan, had been staying at the North Maple house for the past week while she looked for a job.

Her parents said she left home last summer and moved in with family friends. The Darcys didn’t know the friends their daughter had recently moved in with.

They said they’d like to hear about the events surrounding the shooting from their daughter, who was to start her junior year at Rogers High School this fall.

“Our hope is that Clarisa will wake up and tell us what happened,” Kathy Darcy said.

, DataTimes ILLUSTRATION: Color Photo

Click here to comment on this story »