August 23, 1995 in Nation/World

1,000 Flee As Fires Spread Out Of Control In Ontario

Associated Press
 

More than 1,000 people have been evacuated as two fires that had been intentionally set by authorities closed in on this northern Ontario town.

The Ministry of Natural Resources started the fires Aug. 2 to clear dead wood from the forest. But spokesman Bob Thomas said Tuesday that dry weather had helped the flames whip out of control and advance to within about a mile of Dubreuilville.

Thomas said the outlook was good, since winds were calmer Tuesday.

© Copyright 1995 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email