More than eight months after being sequestered, another juror in the murder trial of O.J. Simpson reached the end of his rope and told the judge he needed to be excused, only to be persuaded to stay by promises that the trial would end in mid-September, sources close to the case said Wednesday.
According to the sources, the complaining juror was a middle-age black man who had previously come under investigation for an alleged incident of spousal abuse, but was cleared for further service. In recent weeks, he has taken few notes, one of many jurors whose patience has seemed to be wearing thin.
Faced with the threat of losing another member of a jury that only has two alternates left, Superior Court Judge Lance A. Ito summoned attorneys for both sides to his chambers on Wednesday morning. After meeting privately with the judge, lawyers emerged with few details beyond assurances that the problem had been solved.
“Whatever problems there were with jurors have been taken care of,” lead Simpson trial lawyer Johnnie L. Cochran Jr. said outside court, declining to elaborate.
Click here to comment on this story »