Arrow-right Camera
News >  Nation/World

Man Invades Home, Shoots Five, Then Self

A man who claimed a woman had given him AIDS burst into her home with a pistol and shot five people, killing two, before shooting himself to death, police said.

Ulysses Miller, 22, was found in the front yard of the house, dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, police said. He had been at the home earlier Sunday looking for the 24-year-old woman he said infected him, said police Sgt. Ray Torres.

The intended victim had recently moved out of the house but at least nine relatives, including four children, were home Sunday evening eating and watching television when Miller entered the house through the garage and fatally shot Henry Crawford, police said.

As Miller moved through the one-story house, unloading 10 shots from a .25-caliber pistol, family members scrambled to escape, police said. None of the children was injured.

“He reloaded several times,” neighbor John Barney said in Monday’s editions of the San Antonio Express-News. “He first went in and started firing, then came outside and reloaded. Then he went inside, fired again.”

By Monday afternoon it had not been determined whether Miller was infected with the AIDS virus. Tests were to be done in an autopsy.

Police refused to identify the intended victim or comment on her alleged relationship with the gunman. Police said there were at least five adults and four children in the house but wouldn’t say how they were related.

The dead were identified as Crawford, 38, who lived in the house in the middle-class neighborhood in northeast San Antonio, and Timothy Davis, 27, who lived at Randolph Air Force Base.

Crawford, whose body was found in the garage, was shot in the head. Davis was shot in the head and shoulder in the living room of the house and died on his way to a hospital, police said.

Three adults were wounded. Kevin McCaskey, 28, listed in fair but guarded condition. The other two were in good condition.

Top stories in Nation/World

Blast as Zimbabwe president campaigns; Mnangagwa not hurt

An explosion rocked a stadium where Zimbabwe’s president addressed a campaign rally Saturday, with state media calling it an assassination attempt but saying he was not hurt. Witnesses said several people were injured, including a vice president.