January 3, 1995 in Nation/World

Teen Baby Sitter Saves Girl’s Life

Compiled From Wire Services

A teenage baby sitter teamed up with an emergency operator to save the life of a girl who was choking on a piece of chicken.

The 13-year-old baby sitter, who wasn’t identified, called the 911 emergency number Saturday and reported the 4-year-old girl was turning blue.

Los Angeles County Fire Department dispatcher Eddie Pickett told her how to administer the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge the food caught in the girl’s windpipe.

“She was crying. She told me she couldn’t do it, and I told her she had to,” Pickett said.

After 10 attempts, the girl finally got the food free and the 4-year-old began breathing again.

“I told her she was a hero. I told her she saved that little girl’s life,” Pickett said.

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email