July 8, 1995 in Nation/World

Guest Electrocuted By Hotel Room Door

Compiled From Wire Services
 

A defect in an air conditioner or its cord caused the electric charge that killed a woman as she opened the door to her hotel room, an electrical inspector said Friday.

Milika Sloan, 18, of Cincinnati was wet from rain and barefoot June 24, when she opened the door to a Ramada Hotel outside Washington, D.C., and was electrocuted.

Electricity traveled from the air conditioner through the concrete walk outside Sloan’s room and to the metal door frame, according to a report by Donald L. Barrett, chief electrical inspector for Prince George’s County.

The air conditioner, a General Electric Zoneline model, was installed in the wall below the room’s window.

The report detailed several problems, including an uninsulated air conditioning cord, a corroded plug cap and scorched areas near the cord.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email