June 16, 1995 in Nation/World

‘Human Error’ Kills Cancer Patient

Associated Press
 

A patient with a usually curable type of cancer died after a doctor mistakenly gave him a chemotherapy overdose.

“We deeply regret this human error,” University of Chicago Hospital president Ralph Muller said in a statement Wednesday. “Despite the many checks and balances we have in place to prevent medication errors, this terribly unfortunate accident did occur.”

Vincent Gargano, 41, a mail sorter from Des Plaines, Ill., died Tuesday. He was being treated for testicular cancer, which is curable in about 95 percent of cases if caught early and 80 percent of the time when detected late.

Gargano had been receiving two drugs. The hospital said a doctor got the dosages mixed up, resulting in an overdose of cisplatin.

The doctor responsible for the error was suspended Wednesday from clinical duties, Muller said.

© Copyright 1995 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus