Local news


9-Year-Old Hurt When Shirt Burns

A 9-year-old Spokane boy suffered severe burns after lighting his shirt on fire Friday afternoon.

The Spokane Fire Department refused to identify the boy, who was taken to Sacred Heart Medical Center.

The child later was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he was in serious condition late Friday, a nursing supervisor said.

Fire Marshal Garry Miller said the boy was playing with his younger brother in their back yard in the 2400 block of North Wiscomb.

The 9-year-old was playing with matches and a lighter just before 2 p.m. when his shirt caught fire, Miller said.

The boy began screaming and ran around the yard and into the front yard. His mother heard his screams, ran outside, pulled his shirt off, brought him inside and called 911.

Meanwhile, a neighbor familiar with burn treatment put the child into a tub of cold water, Miller said. The neighbor, LeTresa Davis, poured cold water over his shoulders and back before medics arrived.

, DataTimes



Click here to comment on this story »




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile