Simpson’s Prosecutors Ready To Close
In an abrupt change of strategy, prosecutors in the O.J. Simpson trial Tuesday dropped plans to present additional testimony on domestic violence and blood test results, saying they would wrap up their case by the end of the month.
Lead prosecutor Marcia Clark told reporters the state has presented a powerful case of scientific and circumstantial evidence against Simpson and that the jury had heard enough.
“I have never had a case with so much evidence in my entire life,” Clark said at a news conference with co-prosecutor Christopher Darden. “It came out beautifully and in such compelling and strong form. We really feel we want to get this thing to the jury. They’re ready for it.”
Clark denied that the decision was related to recent prosecution setbacks including a demonstration last week when Simpson, wearing protective latex gloves, appeared unable to pull the bloody crime scene gloves onto his hands.
“I think the jury understands that latex gloves in addition to some poor acting by the defendant contributed to the gloves not going onto the defendant’s hands completely,” Darden said.
Simpson has pleaded not guilty to charges that he murdered his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman on June 12, 1994. His lawyers say he is a victim of a bungled police investigation and a racist cop who planted evidence.