Deputies removed a pipe bomb from the front yard of a Valley house Saturday.
Jeff McIntyre was showing a potential tenant an unoccupied rental house in the 3400 block of North Edgerton, said sheriff’s Lt. David Wiyrick.
In a hole near the water shut-off valve, McIntyre discovered a metal pipe capped at both ends.
The sheriff’s explosive demolition unit safely removed and detonated the device, deputies said.
Five arrested at Shopko
Three incidents at the Spokane Valley Shopko ended in arrests this week.
Last Saturday, Wilber Quick, 32, of Tekoa, Wash., was arrested on a charge of unlawful use of a bank check, deputies said.
He was accused of trying to use a bad check to buy about $350 worth of goods at the store, 13414 E. Sprague, at about 8:10 p.m.
Wiyrick said Quick was booked into the Spokane County Jail.
On Monday, Barbara A. Terry, 27, and Joseph L. Terry, 28, both of Valleyford, were arrested on a second-degree theft charge.
They were accused of trying to take about $295 worth of fishing equipment and other items, deputies said. They were booked into Spokane County Jail.
On Tuesday, two Spokane Valley girls were accused of stealing more than $1,900 worth of goods.
The girls - one 13, the other 15 - tried to leave the store with the merchandise by passing the checkout counters without paying, deputies said.
“They took everything under the sun,” Wiyrick said. The youths loaded two carts with toys, clothing, candy and school supplies, including fuzzy stickers, beads, a cordless phone and hair dye.
“They were brazen enough to walk right by without paying,” he said.
They were taken to Spokane County Juvenile Detention.
Bush burns at nursing home
A Valley nursing home worker safely extinguished a burning bush Monday morning. The fire caused about $500 in damage to Valleycrest Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12715 E. Mission.
A 6-foot shrub next to a side entrance caught on fire about 8:30 a.m. A smoke alarm sounded, and an employee set off another alarm. No one was evacuated or hurt.
The fire damaged the building’s paint and eaves.
Inspectors said the fire probably was caused by a cigarette butt tossed into the shrub. Cigarette butts were found around the plant.
“It was a burning bush,” joked nursing home spokesman Mike Mervis, referring to a biblical story about Moses. “We were wondering how come there wasn’t a message or tablets left on the ground.”
Three accused of burglary
Three Valleyford residents were arrested on first-degree burglary charges Saturday.
Silas Cody Lane, 18, also faces a charge of first-degree possession of stolen property. He is accused of stealing a red 1986 Jeep from the 2900 block of East Euclid in Spokane.
Lane, Ruben Z. Mangelson, 23, and a girl were accused of burglarizing a residence Thursday in the south 8000 block of Highway 27.
sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.