Arrow-right Camera


Five Arrested After Man Kidnapped

Wed., May 3, 1995

Five people have been arrested in connection with last week’s kidnapping of a man who later escaped and flagged down a passing school bus.

Jerry W. Clark, 22, escaped from a home at 805 S. Thor after most of his captors had left, Spokane police said.

Three men and a woman forced their way into a home in the 1200 block of West Joseph about 3 a.m. Friday, assaulted Clark - who was asleep in the basement - and kidnapped him, police said.

They left two other people behind at the West Joseph home, said detective Minde Connelly.

They took Clark to a home in the 3600 block of East Crown and then to the house at 805 S. Thor, where he escaped about four hours later.

Police arrested five people during the weekend on various charges, including kidnapping, burglary, possession of stolen property and drug charges.

They include Timothy Taie, 28, 5502 E. Eighth; Gregory Harker, 31, a transient; and Ericka D. Clemons, 28, and Gary L. Carter, 24, both of 805 S. Thor.

A fifth suspect, Richard W. Ruston, 25, 11810 E. 16th, was arrested Sunday while driving a pickup that belongs to Clark. Ruston had a loaded pistol and several knives which were confiscated because he is a convicted felon and is not allowed to have concealed weapons, police said.

Clemons was released Saturday on her own recognizance, a jail official said. The other four remain in the Spokane County Jail.

Connelly said other property belonging to Clark also was stolen, but she refused to describe the items.

At least one of the suspects knew Clark, but authorities aren’t sure why he was kidnapped, Connelly said.

A Mayflower bus company employee who was on a school bus about 7 a.m. Friday said she saw the victim jumping up and down in the street screaming.

The school district contracts with Mayflower for bus service. A few employees were on the bus for training, she said. Only one student, an 18-year-old, was on board.

“He was scared,” the employee said of Clark. “He said, ‘They’re out there and they’re going to kill me.”’

The man’s hands were bound and his face was bloody, said the employee, who asked not to be identified.

Clark was treated for minor injuries.

The man hid inside the bus until police arrived, she said.


Click here to comment on this story »