October 19, 1995 in City

Health Warning Issued Over Salsa

From Staff And Wire Reports

Salsa sold at the PigOut in the Park festival last month may contain harmful bacteria, health officials warned Wednesday.

People shouldn’t eat the salsa, which was labeled “Caribbean Plaza Guasaca - Tastefully Spicy Salsa” and sold in glass, 16-ounce jars with metal lids, according to a statement from the Spokane County Health District.

An unlicensed food processor distributed the salsa, which also was sold in Coeur d’Alene at the Picnic in The Park festival Oct. 1.

Testing by the Idaho State Department of Health Laboratory and by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration determined some of the salsa was contaminated with potentially harmful bacteria, according to the statement.

Health officials ask that people with jars of the salsa take it to the Spokane County Health District’s environmental division at 1101 W. College in Spokane or to the Panhandle Health District at 2195 Ironwood Court in Coeur d’Alene.

, DataTimes

Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email