Huskers’ Phillips Speaks Out In Surprise Call To Radio Station
Lawrence Phillips, the star Nebraska tailback suspended last month for attacking a former girlfriend, said he made a mistake but still wants a shot at the Heisman Trophy with the No. 2 Huskers.
Wednesday in an unexpected call to a talk show on Omaha radio station KFAB, Phillips said he “reacted without thinking” Sept. 10 when he attacked Kate McEwen, a Nebraska basketball player, at the Lincoln apartment of transfer quarterback Scott Frost.
“I’m here to pay my debt. However I’ve got to pay, it that’s how I’ll pay it,” he said. “If they don’t want to let me play, then I don’t play. If they do, then I do.”
Phillips said professional agents offered him $100,000 to leave school and wait for the NFL draft.
“I didn’t do that. I stayed here. I’m going to go to school and try to do what’s right,” Phillips said during the 20-minute interview. “These people who are talking like they know me, they don’t know me. It’s killing me how they talk like they know what’s going on. They don’t.”