Nation/World

Polar Bear’s Death Blamed On Pool Trout

A polar bear at the San Diego Zoo died of food poisoning, probably from the live trout in the animal’s pool.

Castor, a 26-year-old male, died Friday. He had an intestinal illness that was believed to have come from eating fish in the Polar Bear Plunge, a $5 million exhibit that opened two months ago to allow visitors to see polar bears catch fish the way they do in the wild.

The fish were removed after the Castor and three other bears became sick and veterinarians found evidence of a microorganism called rickettsia, which often is carried by a parasite inside trout.



Click here to comment on this story »







Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile