A girl sickened by poisonous wild mushrooms went home after a successful partial liver transplant.
Doctors grafted part of a donor liver onto Jennifer Chang’s damaged one to help her liver cells regenerate. The surgery was so successful that surgeons removed the donor portion.
Chang, 13, her mother and two brothers became sick earlier this month after eating so-called death cap wild mushrooms.
Most liver transplant patients must take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives, but the successful operation means Chang won’t, doctors said.
Neither her brother nor mother suffered organ damage and both were released a few days after the incident.