Basque Group Says It Planted Bombs
A Basque separatist group claimed responsibility Sunday for two bombing attacks that killed seven people earlier this month, as well as five other attacks.
A statement in the radical Basque newspaper Egin said ETA was behind the Dec. 11 bombing in Madrid that killed six civilian Navy employees, and the Dec. 16 explosion in a Valencia department store that killed one.
ETA blamed store officials for the death, saying they “had not responded quickly enough” to a warning telephoned to the store five minutes before the detonation.
The group is seeking independence for three Basque provinces in northern Spain and has claimed responsibility for more than 750 murders in its 27-year separatist campaign.