Arrow-right Camera

Washington Voices

Man Beaten After Argument At Party

A 26-year-old Spokane Valley man was beaten early Saturday by a group of people who followed him when he left a party after an argument.

Sheriff’s deputies said the group of about four men surrounded Dorn Dunn in a parking lot in the 300 block of South Dishman-Mica Road about 5 a.m.

A man who had driven Dunn from the party hit him in the back of the head with a glass bottle, deputies said. The others joined in, punching Dunn in the face several times before he fell to the ground, deputies said.

Dunn then reportedly was punched and kicked several more times while he laid on the ground, and was taken to Valley Hospital and Medical Center with cuts and bruises to his face, head and leg. He also had several chipped and missing teeth, said sheriff’s Lt. David Wiyrick.

Dunn was treated and released, a hospital spokesman said.

Dunn told deputies he had gotten into an argument with a woman while at a party near Sprague and Argonne. After arguing, he and another man left the party in Dunn’s pickup truck.

A car carrying the other men followed Dunn from the party and into the parking lot, deputies said.

After the beating, the suspects fled in a red car, Wiyrick said.

Dunn was able to identify at least one of his attackers. Detectives are investigating the incident, but have not made any arrests, Wiyrick said.

Fire intentionally set

Three small fires were intentionally set Friday night in the weeds atop Holiday Hills, fire officials said.

The first fire was reported about 7:20 p.m. near Fourth and Henry.

Firefighters arrived there to find a resident soaking a 40-by-40-foot area of burning grass with his hose. They extinguished what was left of the fire and noticed a second plume of smoke on a ridge to the east.

A third fire was reported near Eighth and Henry and firefighters summoned additional trucks.

Those two fires also were quickly extinguished, but Valley Fire Chief Pat Humphries said they could have been worse had conditions been a little drier.

No one has been arrested for setting the fires.

Detectives investigate break-in

A man who has been harassing his ex-girlfriend kicked down the front door to her house Friday and broke out a bathroom window, deputies said.

The 22-year-old man showed up at the 19-year-old woman’s home in the 12400 block of East First about 6 p.m. After kicking down the door, he grabbed the woman by the arm, deputies said.

The woman managed to push the man outside, but he reportedly ran around to a side window, broke it and started crawling inside.

The woman ran to a neighbor’s house and called deputies and the man left.

Detectives are investigating the case as a burglary, which is a felony, because the man was not invited inside the house, Wiyrick said. The man has not been arrested.

Motorcyclist killed in crash

A 25-year-old man was killed in the south Valley last week when the motorcycle he was riding went off the road and crashed.

Washington State Patrol troopers said a black, Honda motorcycle crashed in the 6800 block of south Dishman-Mica about 8:35 p.m. on June 25.

The driver, Jayms A. Pollard, 3322 S. Raymond, died at the scene.

Pollard was wearing a helmet, troopers said. Troopers, who cited speed as the cause of the accident, said Pollard was traveling south along Dishman-Mica prior to the accident.

, DataTimes

Click here to comment on this story »