July 14, 1996 in Nation/World

Propane Torch Started Treasury Building Fire

Compiled From Wire Services
 

A multimillion-dollar fire at the historic Treasury building was caused by workers using a propane torch to repair the roof, officials said Friday.

Treasury spokesman Howard Schloss said that an investigation conducted by Treasury’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the District of Columbia fire marshal had determined that the June 26 blaze was begun accidentally by workers on the roof.

“A propane torch being used on the roof ignited the blaze,” Schloss said.

The building was reopened for most workers on Monday but some offices on the fifth floor that were the most heavily damaged will remain closed for up to six months of repairs, officials said.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email