Arrow-right Camera


Spokane Man Runs Into More Trouble With Police Surrenders In The Nude For Second Time After Three-Hour Standoff

Thu., July 25, 1996, midnight

A Spokane man who went berserk last week when he was denied a bottle of wine got into more trouble Tuesday after being released from jail because of a paperwork glitch in the prosecutor’s office.

Police said Craig A. Adams, 39, rammed his car into a bicyclist Tuesday afternoon and was arrested at gunpoint after a three-hour standoff at his southwest Spokane home.

Adams again surrendered in the nude, police spokesman Dick Cottam said.

Police said the Spokane Boeing plant worker stripped naked last Wednesday before being arrested for a crime spree that included robbing a convenience store and shooting a handgun into his ceiling as two roofers worked on his house.

Adams went on the rampage after a clerk at the Zip-Trip on Cheney-Spokane Road refused to sell him a bottle of Thunderbird wine, police said.

Police and neighbors said he recently began taking a prescription for a mood disorder.

His latest troubles began after he was released from jail Tuesday morning.

Adams was being held on $125,000 bond on robbery and reckless endangerment charges but was turned loose because county prosecutors didn’t file a formal complaint within 72 hours of his arrest, as required by state law.

Prosecutor Jim Sweetser said Wednesday that Adams’ case got lost in the shuffle “due to our heavy workload.”

“It was a system error,” Sweetser said. “Everybody was so busy and in different places. We didn’t meet our deadline.”

Prosecutors filed the formal charges about 2 p.m. Tuesday, but by that time Adams was free.

Police said it didn’t take him long to get into more trouble.

About 3:30 p.m., a man riding his bike on Hatch Road near U.S. Highway 195 was hit by a pickup, which didn’t stop after the collision.

The bike rider - a man in his 50s who police did not name - was not seriously injured but was taken to the hospital for treatment, Cottam said.

A witness got the license plate number of the truck, which is registered to Adams, Cottam said.

Police officers, some armed with rifles because they feared Adams was armed, surrounded his house at 1413 W. Gibbs Road and yelled for him to come out.

He refused and did not answer the telephone when police called, Cottam said.

About 7 p.m., officers rushed into the house and found Adams, naked and holding a small dog. He was not armed with a gun but had several knives nearby, Cottam said.

In District Court on Wednesday, Adams was formally charged with last week’s crimes. He faces one count of armed robbery, two counts of first-degree assault and one count of second-degree reckless endangerment.

This time, his bail was set at $1 million.

Additional charges stemming from Tuesday’s hit-and-run are pending, Cottam said.

, DataTimes

Click here to comment on this story »