The FBI has appealed to President Clinton for a second time to keep documents related to President Kennedy’s assassination secret.
This time, the focus is on 13 documents earmarked for full disclosure by the Assassination Records Review Board, an independent agency created by Congress to compile a complete public record on the Nov. 22, 1963, assassination.
The board said the public interest in the information outweighs the FBI’s arguments for postponing its release.
Last year, the FBI tried to block the release of 15 documents, but that dispute was ultimately resolved without Clinton’s intervention.
The 13 documents now in dispute are available at the National Archives, but with sections blocked out. Those sections include information on intelligence sources and methods, the board said.
To date, the FBI has placed more than 641,000 pages of records into the John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection at the archives.