November 10, 1996

Hunter Asphyxiates

Associated Press
 

Camping

The recent death of an Idaho hunter has prompted warnings that people who use propane or fuel stoves to heat tents and campers must be careful to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

LeRoy Thomas, 32, died as he slept in a tent warmed by a portable propane heater. Temperatures that night were near 20 degrees, said Boise County Sheriff Mike Butler.

Because ventilation in the tent was inadequate, the Meridian man died after the device replaced the tent’s oxygen with carbon monoxide.

Campers should never use a portable heater in a small enclosed area while sleeping, unless the heater is certified to produce no carbon monoxide, said Idaho Fish and Game Department spokesman Virgil Moore.

“Get a good warm sleeping bag,” he advised.

© Copyright 1996 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email