Across the country
Things looked bad for Virginia with a little more than 10 minutes left.
Trailing 17-3, the Cavaliers’ defense was backed up on its own 9 yard line and Chris Keldorf, the Atlantic Coast Conference’s top-rated quarterback, was moving his team in for the kill.
“That could have been the nail in the coffin,” defensive tackle Todd White said. “If they scored there, we could have lost a lot of the guys.”
Instead, Keldorf made an ill-advised throw toward Octavus Barner over the middle. Antwan Harris picked it off and raced 95 yards for a touchdown.
It was the game-turning play in No. 24 Virginia’s 20-17 victory over No. 6 North Carolina on Saturday at Charlottesville, Va.
Harris’s touchdown made the score 17-10, still in favor of North Carolina. Then Tim Sherman took over for Virginia (7-3, 5-3 ACC).
Benched earlier after an interception that Dre’ Bly returned 51 yards for a touchdown, Sherman returned and led Virginia on two drives. He capped the first with a 7-yard TD run on fourth-and-2, then hit Germane Crowell for 41 yards to set up Rafael Garcia’s game-winning 32-yard field goal with 39 seconds left.
The loss probably cost North Carolina any chance of being included in the Bowl Alliance.
(19) Syracuse 42, (22) Army 17: At Syracuse, N.Y., Malcolm Thomas scored two TDs and Donovan McNabb was 16 of 19 for 285 yards and a TD as the Orangemen (7-2) ended the 11-game winning streak of the Cadets (9-1).
Also: Navy 35, Tulane 21: Chris McCoy runs for for 214 yards, accounts for five TDs for Middies. … Boston College 21, Temple 20: Omari Walker’s 166 yards, three TDs lead Eagles’ rally from 14-0 deficit.
(1) Florida 52, South Carolina 25: At Gainesville, Fla., Danny Wuerffel (11 of 34 for 290 yards) had a bad passing day, but threw two TD passes and Fred Taylor had three TDs two in the fourth quarter - as the Gators (10-0, 8-0 SEC) defeated the Gamecocks (5-5, 4-4).
(3) Florida St. 54, (25) So. Mississippi 14:At Tallahassee, Fla., Warrick Dunn scored three touchdowns, one on a 77-yard pass play, as the Seminoles (9-0) rolled up 548 yards against the Golden Eagles (8-3).
(12) Tennessee 55, Arkansas 14: At Knoxville, Tenn., Peyton Manning, hobbled by a sprained knee, threw for 282 yards and three TDs, and Terry Fair returned a punt 86 yards for a second-half score as the Vols (7-2, 5-1 SEC) defeated the Razorbacks (3-6, 1-5), who had five turnovers and 192 yards.
(21) Virginia Tech 21, (18) Miami 7: At Miami, Keion Carpenter scored on a 100-yard interception return for the Hokies (8-1, 5-1 Big East) with 1:54 remaining, ending the Hurricanes’ (6-3, 4-1) chances to tie the game.
(17) LSU 39, Mississippi 7: At Oxford, Miss., Kevin Faulk ran for 117 yards and three second-half TDs as the Tigers (7-2, 5-2 SEC) routed the Rebels (4-5, 1-5).
Georgia 56, (20) Auburn 49: At Auburn, Ala., Torin Kirstey scored from a yard out in the fourth OT for the Bulldogs (4-5, 3-4 SEC), who once trailed the Tigers (7-3, 4-3 SEC) by 21 points.
Also: Wake Forest 17, Duke 16: Demon Deacons score 14 points in final eight minutes, leaving Duke (0-10) on verge of ACC’s first 0-11 season. … Clemson 40, North Carolina St. 17: Raymond Priester’s 146 yards rushing highlights Tigers fifth win in a row. … Kentucky 25, Vanderbilt 0: Billy Jack Haskins throws two TD passes for Wildcats.
(5) Nebraska 49, Iowa State 14: At Ames, Iowa, Scott Frost threw for two TDs and ran for two more, and Ahman Green rushed for 214 yards and a TD as the Cornhuskers (9-1, 7-0 Big 12) toppled the Cyclones (2-8, 1-6).
(13) Northwestern 27, Purdue 24: At Evanston, Ill., the Wildcats (9-2, 7-1 Big Ten) defeated the Boilermakers (3-7, 2-5) on Brian Gowins’ 32-yard, last-minute field goal.
(14) Notre Dame 60, Pittsburgh 6: At South Bend, Ind., as speculation continued concerning the future of Lou Holtz, Allen Rossum scored on punt returns of 55 and 83 yards, and Autry Denson added a 74-yard return for a score in a six-TD second quarter as the Irish (7-2) beat the Panthers (3-7).
Also: Texas 38, Kansas 17: Ricky Williams rushes for 190 yards and Longhorns move within one victory of Big 12’s South Division title. …Iowa 31, Wisconsin 0: Sedrick Shaw runs for 143 yards for Hawkeyes. … Minnesota 23, Illinois 21: Cory Sauter’s 1-yard quarterback sneak with 46 seconds helps Golden Gophers overcome 315-yard rushing effort of Illini’s Robert Holcombe.
Texas A&M; 33, Oklahoma 16: At College Station, Texas, D’Andre Hardeman scored two touchdowns and Kyle Bryant kicked four field goals to lead the Aggies (6-5, 4-3 Big 12) over the Sooners (3-7, 3-4).
Also: Missouri 49, Baylor 42, 3OT: Devin West’s 13-yard touchdown run in the third overtime gives Tigers win after Baylor rallies from four-touchdown deficit. …Rice 30, Texas Christian 17: Spencer George scores two TDs for Owls.
(6) Colorado 12, (9) Kansas St. 0: At Boulder, Colo., freshman cornerback Damen Wheeler had two interceptions and defensive tackle Ryan Olson a key fourth-down sack, as the Buffaloes (9-1, 7-0 Big 12) blanked the Wildcats (8-2, 5-2).
(23) Wyoming 25, Colorado State 24: At Fort Collins, Colo., Marcus Harris set a major-college career record for receiving yardage, but the Cowboys (10-1, 7-1 WAC) needed Marques Brigham’s 2-yard TD run with 1:48 left to clinch the WAC’s Pacific Division title against the Rams (7-5, 6-2).
Also: UNLV 44, San Diego St. 42: Jon Denton throws for 503 yards and Rebels snap nation’s longest losing streak at 12 games. … Air Force 44, Fresno St. 38 (OT): Beau Morgan accounts for five TDs and Falcons rally from 28-point deficit. … Tulsa 38, Texas-El Paso 21: Troy DeGar’s three TD passes help Golden Hurricanes snap four-game losing streak.
Subscribe to The Spokesman-Review's sports newsletter
Get the day's top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.