Arizona, ranked No. 19 despite four players making their first starts, used a career-high 31 points from junior Michael Dickerson and 22 from freshman Michael Bibby to beat No. 7 North Carolina 83-72 Friday night in the Hall of Fame Tipoff Classic in Springfield, Mass.
Miles Simon, who was supposed to be the Wildcats’ only returning starter, was sitting in the stands because of academic problems.
The loss ended a streak of 13 consecutive season-opening victories for the Tar Heels.
(2) Kansas 76, Santa Clara 64: Jerod Haase scored 16 of his 19 points in the second half, and the Jayhawks pulled away from the Broncos in San Jose.
Raef LaFrentz added 17 and Paul Pierce 16 points for the Jayhawks. Marlon Garnett had 20 points to lead Santa Clara.
(10) Duke 86, Vanderbilt 57: In Durham, N.C., Steve Wojciechowski had 12 points and eight steals as the Blue Devils defeated the Commodores.
(13) Syracuse 106, Winthrop 51: In Syracuse, N.Y., Otis Hill scored a career-high 23 points and Todd Burgan added 21 as the Orangemen humbled the Eagles.
(16) Arkansas 127, Jackson State 74: In Fayetteville, Ark., Pat Bradley made five of his first six shots as the Razorbacks bulldozed the Tigers.
(14) Fresno State 75, Pacific 71: At Fresno, Calif., Dominick Young sank two free throws with 12 seconds remaining to secure the victory for the Bulldogs after the Tigers rallied from a 14-point deficit.
(21) Boston College 89, Brown 72: In Boston, Antonio Granger and Danya Abrams each scored 22 points as the Eagles took care of the Bears.
(22) Indiana 70, Saint Louis 54: In Bloomington, Ind., A.J. Guyton’s 14 points and Jason Collier’s 13 led the Hoosiers over the Billikens.
(24) George Washington 86, Holy Cross 56: In Washington, Alexander Koul scored 25 points as the Colonials topped the Crusaders in the Red Auerbach Colonial Classic.
(25) Iowa 81, Western Illinois 66: In Moline, Ill., Andre Woolridge scored 24 points - all on 3-pointers - as the Hawkeyes beat the Leathernecks.
Pac-10, Big Sky: Jeremy Veal’s 25 points led Arizona State over Jacksonville, 111-69, in Tempe, Ariz. … Weber State topped Pepperdine 80-54 in Ogden, Utah, behind Nathan Miller’s 15 points. … Sacramento State tripped Northern Arizona 75-65 in Flagstaff, Ariz., as Damond Edwards scored 14 points.
Subscribe to The Spokesman-Review’s sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.