Number Of Victims Twice What Army Says
The number of female soldiers who say they were victims of rape or other sexual misconduct at Aberdeen Proving Ground reportedly is twice the number the Army has publicly acknowledged.
Army officials at Aberdeen have reported 17 victims of rape or other sexual misconduct, but the number has risen to 34, The Baltimore Sun reported Saturday, citing congressional and military sources.
Of the total, 13 women say they were raped, according to a memo prepared by staffers of the House National Security Committee and obtained by the newspaper.
The numbers were obtained from Brig. Gen. Daniel Doherty, commander of the Army’s Criminal Investigation Command, who briefed members of Congress last week in a private meeting.
Army sources said the additional complaints surfaced after interviews with 1,000 female trainees who have attended Aberdeen since January 1995 and from a telephone hot line set up for complaints about sexual misconduct.
As of Saturday, that hot line had fielded more than 5,300 calls. Of those, 714 were considered worthy of further investigation, the Army said.