Rathdrum Officials Lift Boil Order
FROM FOR THE RECORD (September 17, 1996, Idaho edition): Correction The bacteria that forced Rathdrum residents to boil their water last week was a coliform bacteria. The type of bacteria was misstated in a story in Monday’s newspaper.
Rathdrum residents no longer have to boil their water to make it safe to drink.
That advisory was lifted over the weekend after water tests came back clean.
Trace amounts of fecal bacteria were discovered in the city’s water supply more than a week ago. The bacteria, while not deadly, can cause nausea, sore throats and diarrhea.
Last Monday, the Rathdrum Water Department mailed out notices advising people to boil their water. Some residents became upset after they - and local school officials - didn’t receive the warning until Wednesday.
On Saturday, city and state officials tested the water and began notifying residents that it was again safe to drink.
“We’re just glad to be to be back to normal,” said Mayor Tawnda Bromley.
The boil warning sent residents scurrying to stores for bottled water. Suddenly people had to be careful not to swallow when brushing their teeth or put ice cubes in their drinks.
Lakeland School District canceled classes in five schools Thursday it was unable to provide safe drinking water to students.
Tidyman’s and community agencies donated enough water and jugs to allow schools to open Friday.
Resident Patti Usselman went to a relative’s house to get water for her family from a clean well.
Although the water scare is officially over, Usselman isn’t taking chances.
“I’m still using the bottled water,” she said. “Just for safety’s sake.”