April 13, 1997 in City

Two Students Allowed Back After Bomb Threats

Associated Press
 

After appealing to the school district, two of four students expelled after phoning in a false bomb threat to Ingraham High School have been allowed to return to classes.

A hearing examiner reduced the students’ sentences to long-term suspension, which was equal to the two weeks the students had already spent out of school since their expulsions, said Chris Case, spokeswoman for Seattle Public Schools.

The students had not been criminally charged for making the threats. The other two students involved have not appealed their expulsions, Case said.

At least 20 bomb threats have been made to Seattle schools since Feb. 28.

Seattle police have arrested three students in connection with the threatening phone calls. Making bomb threats is a felony, punishable with a three- to nine-month sentence.

© Copyright 1997 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email