40 In Family Fall Ill After Holiday Potluck
Forty family members fell ill with what appeared to be salmonella poisoning after a Thanksgiving potluck dinner, and authorities are trying to determine which dish was contaminated. Twelve people, including eight children, remained hospitalized Monday.
Salmonella was diagnosed in one patient and was suspected in others. Symptoms included fever, nausea, cramps, vomiting, diarrhea and headaches.
More than 60 members of a family attended the gathering, and guests brought a number of homemade dishes. Victims began arriving at the hospital Friday morning.