Nearly a year after JonBenet Ramsey was found strangled in the basement of her home, the little girl’s parents “remain under an umbrella of suspicion,” and police want to question them again.
“We’ve uncovered a lot of new information. We have a lot of new questions,” Cmdr. Mark Beckner said Friday, speaking to reporters for the first time since he was named to head the investigation in October.
John and Patricia Ramsey have not responded to the request for another interview, Beckner said. They were interviewed in April after much wrangling between their lawyers and police. The couple had refused to speak to police for months.
Beckner said the Ramseys “remain under an umbrella of suspicion, but we’re not ready to name any suspects.” Police also want to talk to JonBenet’s 10-year-old brother, Burke, who is “being treated as a witness,” the police commander said.
The interviews with the Ramseys are among dozens of tasks still to be completed by investigators, including interviews with “significant witnesses” and additional tests on evidence, Beckner said.
“I’m confident that it will be solved,” he said.
Six-year-old JonBenet was found beaten and strangled in the basement of her family’s Boulder home the day after Christmas last year.
Ramsey said he found his daughter’s body about eight hours after Patricia Ramsey reported finding a ransom note demanding $118,000 for the little girl.
Police Chief Tom Koby last month admitted there were missteps during the early stages of the investigation.