Worker Installing Fireworks Hurt In Space Needle Fall
A worker installing New Year’s Eve fireworks at the Space Needle fell Tuesday, plummeting 50 feet before he slammed onto an elevator. He was listed in serious condition with head injuries and a broken leg.
Needle spokeswoman Stephanie McNear said the man, whose name was not released, was working at about the 200-foot level of the 605-foot structure when his safety line tangled in the cable of the elevator, pulling him down.
The elevator stopped at about the 150-foot level. The worker then climbed off and held on to a support beam until rescued.
The 44-year-old man was awake and talking when brought to the hospital, spokesman Larry Zalin said.