January 8, 1997 in City

Electrical Short Starts Fire That Destroys Restaurant

From Staff And Wire Reports
 
Tags:briefly

An electrical short-circuit apparently started the fire that gutted the acclaimed gourmet restaurant at The Herbfarm, fire officials said Tuesday.

The short was discovered in a waiters’ service area of the 32-seat restaurant, said Chris Conner, spokesman for King County Fire District 10. Conner estimated damage from the Monday night fire at $250,000.

No injuries were caused by the blaze at the restaurant about 20 miles east of Seattle.

No one was in the restaurant at the time of the fire, owner Ron Zimmerman said. The Herbfarm is open only on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays during the winter.

Flames were shooting through the roof when firefighters arrived shortly after 8:30 p.m., said Steve Sidell, a dispatcher for the fire district.

Carrie Van Dyck, Zimmerman’s wife, said nearly all the restaurant’s furnishings and equipment were destroyed.

Van Dyck said the restaurant was insured, but it might not be possible to reopen at its location because the business was operating in an area zoned for residential properties. The Herbfarm had been grandfathered-in because it had been there so long, she said.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus