House hearings on President Clinton’s reelection fund raising are being put off until investigators resolve disputes with the White House over subpoenaed documents, a House source said Wednesday.
Republicans on the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee have agreed to the delay, postponing until fall at the earliest any hearings into myriad irregularities in last year’s political campaigns.
“There is no passion for hearings for the sake of hearings,” the source said.
Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind., the panel’s chairman, is locked in a dispute with the White House over the production of documents relating to fund-raisers John Huang, Pauline Kanchanalak and Yah Lin “Charlie” Trie, and other figures such as former Associate Attorney General Webster Hubbell.
A Democratic committee aide said the delay is because the panel’s investigation had yet to yield sufficient information to warrant public hearings.