Arrow-right Camera

Nation/World

Fumes Kill 3 Children In Camper Shell

Tue., May 27, 1997

Three children riding in the camper shell of the family’s pickup died of carbon monoxide poisoning early Monday during an overnight trip from San Francisco.

An 18-month-old boy and his sisters, 2 and 6, arrived at hospitals without heartbeats. Officials said at least one of the children may have been dead for hours.

The family had just completed a seven-hour trip from San Francisco when the parents, who had been riding in the truck’s cab, tried to wake the children about 6 a.m., authorities said.

The parents had looked in on the children when they had stopped for food around 5 a.m., but they didn’t realize anything was wrong.

At Children’s Hospital, the parents “were devastated; they were crying, holding each other, holding me,” said Dr. Robin Kallas.

The family’s name was not released.


 

Click here to comment on this story »