A bomb exploded in one of Havana’s best-known tourist restaurants late Thursday night, following three bombs earlier in the day at three of the city’s seafront hotels. The earlier explosions killed an Italian businessman.
Employees at the restaurant, the Bodeguita del Medio, made famous by Ernest Hemingway, said there were no injuries from the small bomb, which damaged furniture.
The Cuban Foreign Ministry said the bomb attacks were part of a campaign of terrorism organized by Cuban exiles living in the United States, with the intention of damaging the Cuban economy. There were two bombings in July in Cuban tourist offices.
A State Department spokesman here, James Foley, said the United States had no idea who was behind the bombings, and that the Cuban government “has not responded to our repeated requests for substantive information or evidence to support that contention” of U.S. involvement.
“We reiterate our commitment to investigate if the Cuban government provides substantive information or evidence, which they have not done to this date,” Foley said.