January 8, 1998 in City

Family Of Five Flees House Fire

From Staff And Wire Reports
 

Fire damaged a house here Wednesday morning and sent a family of five scurrying into the snow.

All five people inside escaped injury and are staying with friends. The fire tore through the roof on the house, making it unsafe to return, said Wayne Nowacki, Rathdrum fire chief.

The fire started in the front room near the chimney, Nowacki said. Firefighters still are investigating what sparked the 9:40 a.m. blaze near McCartney and Post streets.

A neighbor saw smoke and called firefighters while Charlotte and Dale Haubensack hustled their family out of the house. The house was not insured.

Charlotte Haubensack said she and her husband found out shortly before the fire they had been approved for a loan to buy a manufactured home. , DataTimes


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email