Nation/World


Fire Kills 2 Children Left Home Alone, Seriously Injures Third

MONDAY, JAN. 26, 1998

A house fire killed a 2-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy who had been left alone, and their 4-year-old brother was in critical condition Sunday with burns.

Fire investigators said the blaze late Saturday was accidental and was started by a space heater that was plugged into an extension cord in a back bedroom.

The parents reported they had left the house about 10 p.m. to go grocery shopping and did not return until approximately midnight, about an hour after firefighters arrived, said Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski.

No charges had been filed Sunday.

Firefighters found the little girl and her critically injured brother on the floor of a front bedroom, and the burned body of the 6-year-old boy was found in the back bedroom, firefighters said.


 

Click here to comment on this story »




Sections


Profile

Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(509) 747-4422
Newsroom:
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile