January 26, 1998 in Nation/World

Fire Kills 2 Children Left Home Alone, Seriously Injures Third

Compiled From Wire Services
 

A house fire killed a 2-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy who had been left alone, and their 4-year-old brother was in critical condition Sunday with burns.

Fire investigators said the blaze late Saturday was accidental and was started by a space heater that was plugged into an extension cord in a back bedroom.

The parents reported they had left the house about 10 p.m. to go grocery shopping and did not return until approximately midnight, about an hour after firefighters arrived, said Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski.

No charges had been filed Sunday.

Firefighters found the little girl and her critically injured brother on the floor of a front bedroom, and the burned body of the 6-year-old boy was found in the back bedroom, firefighters said.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus