Arrow-right Camera


Teenage suicide bomber kills 3

 (The Spokesman-Review)
Alfar (The Spokesman-Review)

TEL AVIV, Israel – A 16-year-old Palestinian laden with explosives blew himself up Monday in a crowded outdoor market in Tel Aviv, killing three Israelis, wounding 32 and scattering body parts and blood-spattered vegetables on the ground. The bomber’s mother said the militants who dispatched him were “immoral.”

The attack tested Israel’s promise to show restraint during the absence of the ailing Yasser Arafat. Palestinian leaders – including Arafat – immediately condemned the attack, the first since a Sept. 22 bombing in Jerusalem.

From a military hospital near Paris, the 75-year-old Arafat “appealed to all Palestinian factions to commit to avoid harming all Israeli civilians and he appealed to (Israeli Prime Minister Ariel) Sharon to take similar initiatives to avoid harming Palestinian civilians,” Arafat spokesman Nabil Abu Rdeneh said.

The blast occurred shortly before noon when the suicide attacker detonated an 11-pound bomb in the Carmel market, ripping apart a dairy store, damaging a vegetable stall and sending screaming shoppers running.

“The explosion was huge, there was fire and smoke … it knocked me over,” said David Hayu, who owns a butcher shop. “No one knew what to do. People were looking for their sons, their daughters, their husbands and wives.”

The attack was the 117th suicide bombing since the outbreak of Israeli-Palestinian fighting in 2000 and was the first since Arafat left for France, where he has been treated since Friday for an unknown disease. In all, 494 Israelis have been killed in such attacks.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a PLO faction, claimed responsibility, identifying the assailant as Eli Amer Alfar, from the Askar refugee camp near the West Bank city of Nablus.

Alfar was among the youngest Palestinian suicide bombers – only one other was as young as 16 – and his parents lashed out at the militants who recruited him.

“It’s immoral to send someone so young,” said Samir Abdullah, 45, Alfar’s mother. “They should have sent an adult who understands the meaning of his deeds.”

Abdel Rahim, 53, Alfar’s father, said his son woke him up Monday and asked for two shekels – 50 cents.

“Two shekels, that’s what boys ask for – it’s not money for men,” he said. “He kissed me on the cheek and hand and left, and I went back to sleep.”

The other 16-year-old blew himself up at an army checkpoint on Nov. 3, wounding a soldier.

Frustrated by Israeli security measures that have greatly reduced their effectiveness, militant groups have turned to using women and teenagers to transport explosives and carry out attacks, hoping they would raise less suspicion at the dozens of Israeli checkpoints designed to capture bombers and other militants.

Soon after the attack, Israeli soldiers shot and killed a 12-year-old Palestinian boy in Askar who was throwing stones at an Israeli patrol, doctors said. The army said it was unaware of the incident.

In Nablus, Israeli troops shot dead three activists who were wanted by the Israeli security forces, Palestinian medical officials said. An army spokeswoman said that during an attempt to arrest five suspects of the Fatah-linked Al Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades, the wanted men drew pistols and the soldiers opened fire, killing three men and wounding one.


Top stories in Nation/World

Waffle House suspect remains on the run, may be armed

new  Authorities searching for a man accused of killing four people at a Waffle House fanned out through Nashville neighborhoods and locked all but students and staff out of schools as they mobilized in force to find a man last seen walking away from the carnage, barefoot and shirtless.