First Night accepting applications
First Night Spokane is accepting applications from visual and performing artists for the fifth annual Celebration of the Arts on New Year’s Eve. This year’s theme will be “A World of Wonders.” Applicants are encouraged to interpret and incorporate the theme into their presentations.
The application deadline is June 30. Applications are available online at www.firstnightspokane.org. They should be mailed to First Night Spokane, P.O. Box 8348, Spokane, WA 99203 or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The First Night Programming Committee will review applications and notify those selected by Aug. 31. Selected artists will be paid; fees will be negotiated.
DanceFest at SCC
DanceFest celebrates National Dance Week on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Spokane Community College, Lair Building, 1810 N. Greene St.
This free festival featuring all forms of dance is presented by Inland Northwest Dance Association with the support of Spokane Valley Arts Council and other sponsors. It includes performances, social dance, health fair, arts and crafts, art gallery, children’s area, nonprofit organizations, vendor booths, silent auction and spaghetti feed.
For more information visit www.indaspokane.com or call 927-0972.
• Spokane Civic Theatre will hold auditions for its 22nd annual Playwrights’ Forum Festival at 7 p.m. on May 1 in the Main Stage lobby and on May 2 in the Firth J. Chew Studio Theatre in the lower level of the Civic, 1020 N. Howard St.
Scripts selected for the festival include “Accused of Comedy,” “Members of the Club,” “Noir Light,” “Can Can’t,” “My Trivial Life,” “Fertilizer” and “Genesis.” Men and women in their mid-20s to mid-50s are invited to audition for 12 female roles and nine male roles.
Performances will be on a rotating basis, Thursday through Saturday from June 10 through 25. Call 325-1413 for more information.
• Lake City Playhouse will hold auditions for its reader’s theater production of “Hamlet” on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. at Harding Center, 411 N. 15th St., Coeur d’Alene. There will be one performance only on May 25. For information call (208) 667-1323.
Classes and workshops
• A free playwriting workshop, Dialogue: Part II, will be today from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at the Spokane Valley Barnes & Noble, 15310 E. Indiana Ave. Participants will write and perform short scenes; those who have a play they’ve been working on are invited to bring it.
Meet near the front windows between the coffee shop and the audio books. For more information, call 922-1684 or e-mail email@example.com
• Members of the Drum Brothers world percussion ensemble in Missoula are offering two workshops in Coeur d’Alene on May 1.
Sound, Music and Consciousness, an experiential workshop exploring the power of music and sound, will run from 1 to 3:30 p.m. at Life Center Therapies, 1319 N. Government Way. Cost: $25. Call (208) 667-3813.
A hand drumming workshop will follow from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at Unity Church, 4465 N. 15th St. Cost: $15. Call (208) 664-1125.
• Corbin Art Center, 507 W. Seventh Ave., is offering the following classes sponsored by the City of Spokane Parks and Recreation Department. Preregistration is required by calling 625-6200.
For adults: The Art of Florence, May 3, 6:30-9 p.m., $12; Stained Glass Panel Lamp Shade, Wednesdays, May 4-18, 6-9 p.m., $32; How to Publish What You Write, May 7, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., $29; and Watercolor Florals, May 7, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., $28.
For children ages 6-9: Seashells and Art Elements, May 5, 9-11 a.m., $10; Acids, Bases and Art Composition, May 10, 9-11 a.m., $10; Capillary Action and Art Design, May 17, 9-11 a.m., $10.
• An Impressionist Painting Discovery Workshop, co-sponsored by Corbin Art Center, will be May 7 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, 2316 W. First Ave.
The $20 workshop fee includes a guided tour through the “Impressionist Eye: Painting and Sculpture From the Philip and Janice Levin Foundation” exhibition, followed by a painting lesson and exercise taught by Carrie Vielle of the Corbin Art Center. Participants must be 15 or older; space is limited. Preregister by May 3 at 363-5306.
• A two-day papier mache workshop will be May 7 and 28 from noon to 4 p.m., at The Create Place, 900 W. Fourth St., Newport, Wash.. Cost: $125, includes all materials. Prepaid registration is due by May 2. Call (509) 447-9277.