Arrow-right Camera
News >  Region

Seizure may have led to I-90 crash

The driver who apparently caused a crash Saturday that left two dead and three hospitalized told police that he veered across a wide, grassy median and into an oncoming truck and van on Interstate 90 near the Washington-Idaho border after having an epileptic seizure.

Kevin Terrell Culp, 22, told officers he had failed to take prescription medication to control his seizures in the days before the accident. Idaho State Patrol Trooper Ron Sutton said Culp has a history of seizures.

“He hadn’t taken the medication in two or three days – or longer,” Sutton said Sunday.

Culp, of Spokane, remains in the Kootenai County Jail, facing two felony charges of vehicular manslaughter, as well as charges of driving without a license and failure to carry proof of insurance. “He tells me he’s never had a license,” Sutton said.

Culp was driving west on Interstate 90 about a mile east of Pleasant Valley road, just east of the Washington-Idaho border, when he drove across the median at about 12:45 p.m. Saturday, the ISP said. He struck the back end of a semi, then hit a Mercury Villager van carrying a family.Two people in the van were killed – Spokane Valley resident Henrietta Lewis, 40, who was driving, and passenger Tonia M. Lewis, 20, the ISP said. Four others in the van were hurt, though one 11-year-old boy was treated and released from the hospital.

A 9-month-old boy remained in critical condition Sunday at Sacred Heart Medical Center. The condition of two other passengers in the van improved Sunday. Travis Lewis, 31, improved from critical condition to serious at Deaconess Medical Center, while Robert I. Buckley, 30, improved from serious to fair condition at Kootenai Medical Center.

Culp was driving his girlfriend’s Suzuki SUV at the time of the crash, Sutton said. He crossed a median at a grassy spot about 200 feet wide. A witness “indicated he was traveling at highway speed and his brake lights never did come on,” Sutton said.

Sutton said alcohol wasn’t involved.

Culp is expected to have a bail hearing today.

Idaho woman dies in Highway 95 wreck

A 56-year-old Careywood, Idaho, woman died early Sunday after crashing her Ford Tempo into a semi on U.S. Highway 95 north of Silverwood, the Idaho State Patrol said. Laurette Kae Tondu was northbound around 12:20 a.m. when her car crossed the center line and struck a southbound truck, the ISP said. The truck driver, 37-year-old Hugh Spencer Bell of Medical Lake, was not injured. The highway was closed for about three hours.

Police looking for armed bicycle thief

Police are looking for a man who stole a $600 BMX bike from two teenage boys after threatening them with a gun Friday afternoon.

The man, driving a small, dark blue pickup, pulled in front of the boys on their bicycles on Mission near Ash at about 5 p.m., the Spokane Police Department said in a news release.

He forced them to stop, and then got out with a handgun, police said. He threatened to shoot the boys, who gave up a Giant brand bike with red and black flame grips, police said. The man put the bike into the back of the truck and left. Police said the man was described as white, in his 30s, with long, “scraggly” hair, about 6 feet tall and with a medium build. The dark blue truck was an older Toyota or Datsun, police said.

Anyone with information about the robber or the bike is asked to call the TIPS line, 242-TIPS.

Reardan boy still in critical condition

A 7-year-old Reardan boy remained in critical condition Sunday, after he was struck by a car Saturday while riding a motorized dirt bike northeast of Reardan.

Zachary T. Baldwin was driving west on Bisson Road and ran a stop sign at the intersection with Tramm Road. A southbound Ford Taurus driven by Reardan resident Michael I. Andren, 32, hit the boy, according to the Washington State Patrol. Andren was booked into jail on suspicion of felony hit and run.