November 8, 2006 in Nation/World

Israeli troops leave Gaza town

Ibrahim Barzak Associated Press
 
Associated Press photo

Palestinians view the damage done to the Gaza town of Beit Hanoun on Tuesday, which was under Israeli siege for seven days. More than 60 Palestinians were killed in the offensive.
(Full-size photo)

BEIT HANOUN, Gaza Strip – Israeli forces ended a weeklong offensive Tuesday aimed at halting rocket attacks from this northern Gaza town, leaving behind wrecked homes, uprooted trees and sewage-covered streets. But hours after the pullback, the Palestinian rocket fire resumed.

Israel kept up its onslaught from outside Beit Hanoun, killing 10 Palestinians in airstrikes, gunfire and tank shelling.

In one barrage Tuesday, five rockets hit the Israeli city of Ashkelon, seven miles from the Gaza border, the farthest the militants’ homemade weapons have reached into Israel. No one was hurt, the army said, but Israel hit back with artillery.

Palestinian leaders denounced Israel for continuing its offensive, but internal problems remained unsolved as negotiations dragged on to form a unity government in hopes of ending an international aid boycott.

In one incident Tuesday, two Israeli tank shells hit the house of Jamila Shanti, a Hamas lawmaker who helped organize a demonstration of women Friday that allowed dozens of Hamas militants to escape an Israeli siege on a mosque.

Shanti was not home at the time of Tuesday’s attack, which Palestinian doctors said killed three people. Hamas said two of the three were militants who were firing rockets. The army said it was responding to an attack and had not targeted Shanti’s home.

After the pre-dawn Israeli pullback, hundreds of Beit Hanoun residents, who spent most of the last week holed upside in their homes as troops and militants battled in the streets, milled around inspecting the damage.

Homes in the town of 50,000 were damaged by tanks that rumbled through its narrow streets, ripping up asphalt, toppling trees and destroying cars. The mosque that was the site of last week’s standoff was reduced to rubble. Only its minaret was left standing.

Khalil Yazgi, 45, watched as children and women picked through the rubble of the four-story structure that had been home to his extended family of 50 people. All that remained was a staircase and the exposed rooms of an apartment.

“If I was against the rockets, now I will encourage people to launch rockets from every spot,” he said. “This is an act of terror. … It’s as though a crazy cow walked through a porcelain shop.”

During an emotional funeral procession, tens of thousands of mourners filed behind ambulances carrying 23 bodies. The funerals had been delayed because the bodies could not be retrieved from the hospital. Altogether, more than 60 Palestinians were killed in the offensive. Both sides said most were militants.

© Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Thoughts and opinions on this story? Click here to comment >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email