BERLIN – Thousands of people were evacuated from their homes in the central German city of Hanover on Sunday as experts disposed of three World War II bombs, police said.
The three bombs, thought to be American-made, were dropped in an Allied bombing raid in October 1943, and were located with the help of aerial photos.
Two were buried in an open area, while the third was close to a house. All were embedded at depths up to 21 feet.
Fire service spokesman Alfred Falkenberg said one of the bombs had smashed on impact and was harmless. The other two were defused successfully.
City officials informed residents earlier this month that they would defuse the bombs, and some 400 police officers were deployed to ensure that residents heeded the call to evacuate to two local schools. Approximately 22,000 people were evacuated, police said.