Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Thursday, April 25, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Night 38° Clear
News >  Spokane

Man pleads guilty to luring minor

The Spokesman-Review


Man pleads guilty to luring minor

A 46-year-old Whidbey Island man was foiled in his attempt to lure a 14-year-old girl for sex when the girl bought an airplane ticket to Washington, D.C., instead of Washington state.

The Chicago-area girl was trying to visit John Leonard Young, 46, of Coupeville, who pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court on Monday to one count of using the Internet to entice a minor to travel for illegal sexual activity.

According to Young’s plea agreement, he offered to buy the girl a ticket to visit him in January 2005. Instead, she bought a ticket with her own money and flew to Dulles International Airport. That’s where airport police found her, upset that she had flown to the wrong Washington.

FBI agents contacted the girl’s parents and eventually searched her computer, leading them to Young.

Young faces between five and 30 years in prison when he is sentenced in January.


Body identified as missing man

Skeletal remains found near Mount Pilchuck are those of Brandon Kempf, 19, of Granite Falls, who disappeared in August of last year, the Snohomish County medical examiner said Monday.

The cause of death is still under investigation. The remains were found last week by two hikers.

Investigators believe Kempf was slain, but they recently had to release a man charged in the case because a body had not been found.

Prosecutors have said that if new evidence emerged, charges could again be filed against the man.

The Mount Pilchuck area is where two hikers – Mary Cooper and her daughter Susanna Stodden – were found shot to death in July.

Authorities said there is nothing to link that case, which remains unsolved, and Kempf’s death.


Man dies in crash during chase

A police chase following a reported auto theft ended when the vehicle went through a red light and piled into another car at an intersection, leaving one man dead and two others seriously injured.

A black Honda sedan that had been reported stolen was going as fast as 70 mph before it slammed into a silver Acura on Sunday afternoon, police said. The dead man and two listed in serious condition at Yakima Regional Medical and Cardiac Center were all local 19-year-olds who had been in the Acura.

The driver of the Honda, a 20-year-old Yakima man, was treated for minor injuries and jailed for investigation of second-degree murder, two counts of vehicular assault, eluding and auto theft.

Officers tried to stop the Honda with spike strips designed to puncture the tires, but the Honda went around them, police Capt. Greg B. Copeland said.

Compiled from wire reports

Wordcount: 428

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email