YWCA planning job-hunting class

The Spokane YWCA is launching a series of fall classes aimed at helping women and men land new or better-paying jobs.

Organizers say they’re striving to assist low-income folks who lack the training or skills to qualify for living-wage jobs or to advance themselves.

They’ll find advice on conducting job searches, writing resumes, making good impressions in job interviews, finding appropriate career wear on a tight budget and using computers. Additional classes will touch on how to improve people skills and how to manage time and money.

Classes will be held between Tuesday and Sept. 28; they’re free for those who qualify as low-income and $5 a class for others. For more information or to reserve a spot, call (509) 326-1190.


Superjumbo jet delays are issue

Airbus parent EADS insisted Thursday it was too early to say whether the troubled A380 superjumbo jet faced further production hitches, after a minority shareholder said another delay was likely.

Mike Turner, chief executive of BAE Systems PLC, said Wednesday he would be “surprised if there weren’t” any further delays. BAE owns 20 percent of Airbus and is planning to sell the stake to European Aeronautic Defense and Space Co., which owns the remaining 80 percent.

But a spokesman for EADS said Thursday that the superjumbo’s delivery schedule would not become clear until the results of a program audit are presented to the board atthe end of September.


Microsoft fights movie hacking

Microsoft Corp. is scrambling to update its Windows Media software after a hacker released a program that circumvents a safeguard designed to prevent people from freely copying digital movies and songs.

The effort began weeks ago, after a hacker released a program dubbed FairUse4WM that strips digital rights protection from media files distributed by companies like Movielink and Inc., which launched a video downloading service last week.

The Redmond-based software maker released its first fix on Aug. 28. The hacker quickly released another version of the program, promoting it on Internet message boards as a way to allow “fair use” of purchased digital media files.


Chinese order 150 Boeing airplanes

Boeing Co. said Thursday it had completed the final deal in a series of orders from eight Chinese carriers for a total of 150 planes.

Boeing said the jets are worth about $10 billion at list prices, though airlines typically negotiate discounts on bulk orders.

The final order announced Thursday came from Hainan Airlines, which added 15 737s to orders placed last year and earlier this year for 10 of the narrow-body planes.

China Aviation Supplies Import and Export Group buys aircraft on behalf of Chinese airlines.

Click here to comment on this story »

Saving for the future

sponsored According to two 2015 surveys, 62 percent of Americans do not have enough savings to handle an unexpected emergency, much less any long-term plans.



Contact the Spokesman

Main switchboard:
(509) 459-5000
Customer service:
(800) 338-8801
(509) 459-5400
(800) 789-0029
Back to Spokesman Mobile