August 18, 2007 in City

Barbecue blamed for fire

By The Spokesman-Review
 
Christopher Anderson photo

Firefighters give aid to a resident of the Cedar Hollow Apartments at 58th Avenue and Regal Street on Friday. Witnesses said the fire was started by a barbecue.
(Full-size photo)

A woman who tried to help extinguish an apartment fire Friday evening was taken to Holy Family Hospital for smoke inhalation.

The woman, whose name was not available, and others raced over to the Cedar Hollow Apartments, 5808 S. Regal St., to knock on doors and grab fire extinguishers, witness Matt Hall said.

But the fire overwhelmed their efforts.

About 25 firefighters from Spokane County Fire District 8 and the Spokane Fire Department responded to the blaze, which witnesses said was started by a barbecue.

The fire was contained to, but heavily damaged, the second-floor apartment, which was unoccupied when crews arrived, said Deputy Chief Tony Nielsen of District 8.

Two dozen onlookers gathered along Regal, and firetrucks blocked traffic in both directions. Among the bystanders was Hall, a manager at Okane Sushi and Island Grill, who ran across the street to help before fire crews arrived.

He said the injured woman was a UPS Store employee who also ran across the street.

“She had a fire extinguisher in her hand, as well,” Hall said.

Nobody else was injured.

Get stories like this in a free daily email


Please keep it civil. Don't post comments that are obscene, defamatory, threatening, off-topic, an infringement of copyright or an invasion of privacy. Read our forum standards and community guidelines.

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in here or click the comment box below for options.

comments powered by Disqus